Tis’ the season for shopping! It’s a joyful time of year, but can also be stressful if you aren’t sure what to buy someone on your list.

As the growing popularity of tiny houses has taken over, so has the idea of becoming a minimalist.

Military families are always on the move, so it’s a necessity for us to try to minimize material things as much as possible.

I don’t know about you, but it’s quite hurtful to spend a lot of time searching for the perfect gift, only to find out that it is sitting somewhere collecting dust after the holidays.  This is why I have developed a practical gift giving guide to help you out this Christmas.

This post contains Amazon Affiliate links that help to generate a small source of income. By clicking on the links provided and purchasing the items recommended, I will earn a small commission.

5 Practical Gifts that Keep Giving

Amazon

1-Gift cards-They are the perfect size, the perfect fit, and guarantee the recipient can pick out what they like best.  Although this is the most impersonal, it’s very practical and guaranteed to be utilized. Many places even allow you to send gift cards through email, so you don’t even have to leave home to buy them.

My favorites:

• Amazon
  • Movie Theaters
  • Restaurants
  • Spas & Massages
  • Walmart
  • Nail Salons

headphones

2-Music-Everyone loves music and Amazon makes it super easy to purchase MP3’s and even download the app onto your phone so you can listen on the go.  You can send someone a gift card without even leaving your couch. Click here to send someone an Amazon e-card.

Here’s a sample of what’s on my playlist:

(Click on each to listen to a preview and to purchase)

toiletries

3-Beauty products-Find out what people on your list use and create a gift basket of their favorite toiletries such as; shampoo, soap, face wash, deodorant, shave gel, and lotion. This will not only be utilized, but also cut back on the many expenses of toiletries throughout the new year.

carwash.jpg

4-Car Wash Coupons-As the seasons change and warmer weather fades, washing your car can become a dreaded and frigid chore.  Why not buy someone a car wash card?  This could be super helpful, especially during the colder months. Try this national chain to see if there is a location near you! They even offer e-certificates that you can send to someone through email.

5-Experiences-These have become a popular gift in most recent years.  Giving someone a gift that allows them to have a fun experience instead of another material object can be quite powerful.  When was the last time you went to a zoo, played putt putt, rode go karts, went on a winery or brewery tour, or visited a museum?  These are low-cost gifts that promote getting out and about and having fun.

Gift giving does not have to be stressful nor cost a ton of money.  Try giving a gift that is certain to be utilized. It can save you time, money, and hurt feelings. Practical gifts will surely be a hit to those on your list this year.

© Wendi and Strength 4 Spouses, 2017.

Do you have a practical gift recommendation that is not on my list?  Please feel free to share it in the comments.

Comments (17)

1. deekolb31

Love a good experience for a gift! My husband and I live away from our families overseas so we usually just do stockings and then go on a little weekend trip together!

That’s such a great idea and a special way to create some amazing memories. Wishing you and your husband a very merry season!

2. Reply

I have been getting into the idea of Minimalism a lot as well, and around Christmas time it is difficult to keep up the motivation! Giving and receiving practical gifts is always appreciated! Great post with awesome ideas.

I am trying to become more of a minimalist myself. After moving last year, I realized how much “stuff” I have that collects dust. Practical gift giving is definitely the way to go. I’m so happy this post could offer a little help with your shopping this year.

I totally agree with you on the experiences. Memories are pretty special and most of my greatest memories never revolved around a material item but around experiences and moments.

3. Reply

For the last few years I bought my hubby skin care products for Christmas and he really loved it. This year we started our own skin care business. So exciting!

That’s such a great idea and something most men don’t think to buy for themselves. Congratulations on your skin care business!!! Please feel free to leave a link on this thread!

4. ROSE SANCHEZ

Heeeeeey Wendi…

I’m so loving the gift ideas in fact i have used the beauty products for both of my girls…whether it be for their birthdays, Christmas’s or even as a reward for good school grades they loved it every time! One of my all time favorites tho are the food gifts: HOMEMADE FOOD DISHES that come with the recipes! I love collecting recipes..im always looking for something and quick and new, epecially from different cultures..
    OH SO yummy and exciting!

Rose, thank you for stopping by. The beauty products gift is perfect. In fact, I have asked for a supply of Noxema for Christmas this year. Hahaha. As silly as that sounds, it’s a gift I would love and use. It’s great to know about the homemade food dishes and recipes idea! I’ll definitely keep that in mind, so thank you for that!

5. mapsandmonograms

I love gifting experiences almost as much as I love receiving them! I love shopping Groupon to see what experiences they have available.

You’re right about Groupon. It’s a great place to look for experiences to gift. Just be sure to check the fine print and expiration dates.

6. Reply

Yes!!! Another practical gift guide! I’ve written one to be posted this month that’s all about why the “boring” gifts are the best! Things like gift cards, socks, and towels may not blow everyone’s minds, but you can bet they’ll come in handy!

Indya || tinyurl.com/thesmalladventurer

That’s great that you’re putting a guide together too! I love receiving necessities and practical things for gifts. My husband is truly the best at practical gift giving and I love it!